dijous, 12 de novembre del 2009

(Illegal) Cycling races in Paris

After two months cycling in Paris I still think it is a very dangerous city and commuting by bike here is not as easy and enjoyable as in other places. I'm always late, so I try to hurry up... and sometimes (very often) I end up being reckless. Ok, I often take "controlled" risks, but I am definetely not a risk-seeking person. However, I just came across with a video of some who put their life at stake for a cycling race in the city... I don't really care if they wanna take more risks (as long as we don't have to pay for their damages), but you will see that they put in danger many others and this is unacceptable.

In a following post another one says he will think about stopping at traffic lights because he got a 90€ fine. It made me think about the law&economics beyond. Why is this fine ridicously small? It has no deterrence effect at all on the traffic lights objective, it has no impact on discouraging the participation in these races!